The first incarnation of Liveworm was established over thirty years ago amidst a growing concern that graduating students were not fully conversant with the design industry. Liveworm has helped bridge this gap ever since by providing students with the opportunity to work on real projects, for real clients, in a real studio environment. Liveworm is one of the longest running design studios in Australia and a flagship experience for multiple generations of Queensland College of Art graduates.
Students undertaking Work Integrated Learning within Liveworm benefit from:
- hands-on practical experience and contact with both clients and suppliers
- application of theoretical knowledge into practice
- working in a collaborative, mentored space with assistance from professional staff
- exposure to a ‘live’ professional studio environment
- following projects from initial briefings through to published outcomes
- learning to negotiate within budgets, deadlines, and client requirements.
We undertake projects for:
- not-for-profit organisations
- government departments
- select for-profit organisations
- different groups and departments within Griffith University
Liveworm South Bank
Information for Students
Students can elect to participate in Liveworm up to three times under the elective courses 3593QCA Professional Practice 1, 3594QCA Professional Practice 2, and 3595QCA Professional Practice 3. These courses are offered in Trimester 1, Trimester 2, and Trimester 3. Each elective course requires the completion of 120 hours of studio practice and a reflective journal. In Liveworm, the course operates in an intensive mode of 17 hours per week for seven consecutive weeks. The Professional Practice courses are not timetabled — students set their own timetable during this time.
Liveworm is offered to Bachelor of Design students majoring in Visual Communication or Graphic and Visual Communication in their second and third years of study. It is a pre-requisite to have successfully completed the course 2681QCA Typographic Design 1, and either be enrolled in, or have also completed Typographic Design 2. If you are a Queensland College of Art student in a different degree or major and believe you may still be qualified, please get in touch.
Before enrolling in these courses, you will need to secure a place in a future Liveworm group. Expressions of interest are distributed around enrolment periods. Be on the lookout for emails and posters on campus which will provide more detail.
If you have any questions about the South Bank studio, please contact David Sargent, Creative Director.